Thursday, October 8, 2009

Writing Tip#17: Plotting Your Way

I often use index cards to keep track of my plot. I try to write short statements related to the action of the story on cards. Sometimes I spread them on the floor to "see" my plot. Sometimes I tape them to a display board.

In addition to using the cards for plotting purposes, I also use them to keep track of important bits of information, such as my character's school schedule. These are the cards for the novel Invisible Lines. I have a new set of cards for the book I'm working on now.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your process. It is really helpful.

    Jeannine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Amato, you completely made my day today when you commented on my blog post about The Naked Mole-Rat Letters! I have met a few authors and love talking to my students about writing and authors and their craft. I think it's great that we're able to interact with authors.

    I read your bio on your website and saw that you are from Illinois. My husband and I currently live in Mundelein. He grew up in Machesney Park (near Belvidere) and I grew up in Lake Forest (near Libertyville) (as I'm sure you know). :)

    I have always considered my curly hair to be a mop on my head and I did laugh out loud and unintentionally wake up my sleeping husband when I read about Frankie and her hair curlers. Last week at book club, I almost couldn't tell them about the hair curler part of the story because I was laughing and crying so hard. I'm excited to share this your books, website, and blog with my students!

    ReplyDelete